This is the first time I’ve ever tried to make koftas – or eat them for that matter. I just wish I’d tried them sooner, they taste delicious in this spicy tomato sauce. The whole meal is free on No Count. If tracking, the koftas and sauce come to 5 points. You would need to weigh and track whatever they were served with.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 500g beef mince 5% fat
- a red onion, finely chopped
- a large egg
- a tsp ground coriander
- a tbsp chopped mint leaves or 1 tsp dried mint
- a tbsp olive oil
- a garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 3 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp Splenda
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for about half an hour.
- In a bowl, mix the mince, egg, onion, coriander and mint. Season to taste.
- Shape the mixture into 8 ‘sausages’ and then thread a bamboo skewer through the centre of each.
- These could be cooked on the bbq or grilled. I grilled them for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, harissa paste and sugar. Season to taste.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, with no lid on.
- Served here with couscous and quinoa, and a drizzle of 0% fat Greek style yogurt.