I’d planned a new sweet and sour recipe for this week but it’s been such a busy week that I decided to try a slow-cooked version so that it would be all ready for eating when I arrived home. I was pleasantly surprised as I’m used to crunchy vegetables in a sweet and sour recipe but this was really good too! The meal is 1sp on No Count and 6sp if you’re following WW Freestyle.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 4 peppers cut into strips (I used 2 red, 1 yellow and 1 green)
- an onion, sliced
- an inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 75g tomato ketchup (50% less sugar)
- 75ml balsamic vinegar
- a 400g tin of pineapple chunks in natural juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free syrup (I used the Myprotein maple one – available online at Myprotein.com)
- a tbsp lime juice
- lemon thyme (optional - to decorate at the end)
- In a bowl/jug, mix the tomato ketchup, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, the juice from the pineapples, the sugar-free syrup and 100ml water.
- Put the chicken, peppers, onion, ginger and half of the pineapples in the slow cooker. (You can use all the pineapples if you wish but I found that half the tin was enough.)
- Pour the contents of the bowl/jug into the slow cooker.
- Cook on Low. My slow cooker cooks quite quickly so it was only on for 4.5 hours.
- Serve with 50g brown rice and decorate with chopped lemon thyme if you wish.