Another fantastic vegan recipe from Marie which is free on No Count and WW Flex (as long as you use Frylight).
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 250g dried red lentils
- a large onion or two small ones, chopped finely
- a tsp of turmeric
- 1″ piece of root ginger
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- a tsp cumin seeds (crushed)
- chopped coriander to serve
For the Tarka:
- a tbsp olive oil (from your daily healthy oil allowance)
- (use Frylight if following WW Flex)
- a small red onion
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- a clove of garlic, chopped finely
- a tomato, sliced
- Rinse the lentils and place in a slow cooker or large pan.
- Add the onion, turmeric, ginger (peel and grate), chopped tomatoes, stock and half the cumin seeds.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours or on the hob for about 30-35 minutes – just make sure the lentils are tender.
- When the Dahl is done, make the Tarka.
- Heat the oil (or spray) and fry the (finely chopped) red onion for a few minutes until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the mustard seeds and remaining crushed cumin seeds. Cook for a minute or so – the seeds will begin to pop.
- Add the tomato and garlic, and cook for a couple of minutes
- Serve with chopped coriander and the Tarka on top.