Ingredients (makes 4 burgers):
- 350g silken tofu
- ‘no egg’ egg replacer
- 75g Hovis (medium-sliced wholemeal) breadcrumbs
- 2 heaped teaspoons marmite
- calorie controlled cooking spray (or oil from your daily healthy allowance)
- fresh rosemary – about two sprigs, pick the leaves off the woody stalk
- Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel or muslin cloth. Squeeze hard and get as much liquid out as you can. Put the tofu in a bowl, add ‘no egg’, bread crumbs and marmite. Mix well with your hands and form into 4 burgers
- Put 2 tsp of healthy oil in a heavy base frying pan (or calorie controlled spray, works best with oil though) and heat. Put in 4 piles of rosemary and put the burgers on top. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, then turn down the heat and cover, leave for 3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, if you have spare tomatoes, chop and put in a non stick pan with black pepper a splash of water, a pinch of chilli flakes and a tbsp red wine vinegar. Bubble and roughly mash till thick.
- Serve the burgers on thins, on top of tomato sauce with gherkins on top and baby salad leaves.