This dish is a family favourite, does not cost a lot to make and is free on No Count.
Ingredients (serves 4 – 6):
- a large mug of dried green lentils
- can of chopped tomatoes
- large onion, chopped
- 2 peeled garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- large stick of celery, chopped
- mushrooms, chopped
- calorie controlled cooking spray or tbsp olive oil from your allowance
- 2 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- pint of stock made with Swiss Boullion
- salt and pepper
- 60g per person of dry wholewheat spaghetti
- In a large heavy saucepan or casserole dish, gently cook the garlic, onion, celery and carrot until soft but not coloured – add water if sticking.
- Add the lentils and mushrooms, and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, bring to the simmer and simmer really gently for an hour or so until the sauce is thick.
- Add herbs and seasoning to taste.
- Cook your spaghetti.
If you can do this the night before, it tastes better the next day. It also freezes well. I have also cooked it in the oven on low for a couple of hours or in the slow cooker. Enjoy!